The $300 lawn mower is a type of gardening tool that is used to cut grass and keep lawns looking neat and well-maintained. Lawn mowers come in a range of sizes and styles to suit different lawns and budgets. Some factors to consider when purchasing a lawn mower include the size of your lawn, the terrain of your yard, and your budget.Lawn mowers typically range in price from around $100 for a basic push mower to several thousand dollars for more advanced models. $300 is generally considered to be a mid-range price point for a lawn mower, and at this price you can expect to find models that offer a range of features and capabilities.
- 1 Best Lawn Mower Under $300 Buying Guide
- 2 Pros and Cons of Lawn Mowers Under $300
- 3 What are the differences between gas, corded electric, and cordless electric mowers?
- 4 What features should I consider when looking for a lawn mower under $300?
- 5 How do I maintain a lawn mower?
- 6 How long do cheap mowers last?
- 7 What horsepower lawn mower do I need?
- 8 How much should I spend on a mower?
- 9 How much electricity does a lawn mower use per hour?
- 10 What can damage a lawn mower?
Features to look for in a $300 lawn mower might include a powerful engine, a cutting deck with a wide cutting width, and the ability to adjust the cutting height. Some models may also offer features such as mulching capabilities, a grass bag to collect clippings, and a self-propelled drive system.It’s important to carefully consider your needs and budget when purchasing a lawn mower, and to do some research to find the model that best meets your needs. Some things to consider include the size of your lawn, the type of grass you have, and any specific features or capabilities that you need.
#1.Greenworks 40V 21 inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
- Relative low noise during operation
- Easy to use
- It comes with a bagger and has a built-in mulcher for added versatility
- Has variable speed making it ideal for use by older adults
- Easy-to-start electric button
- Battery life could have been better
Many gardeners continue to prefer Greenworks as their go-to brand for mowers due to their extensive selection of models that cater to various budget ranges. Regardless of the price, all Greenworks products are built to be durable and reliable.
One standout product from Greenworks is their Self-propelled lawn mower, which offers exceptional quality at a reasonable price. This mower boasts seven cutting height adjustments that range from 1 3/8 to 3 ¾ inches, providing greater flexibility to suit different grass lengths. Additionally, the mower’s 21-inch cutting deck is wide enough to handle medium to large-sized lawns with ease.
Equipped with a rear-wheel-drive system, this mower’s wheels provide stable and reliable traction, enabling it to maneuver efficiently across all types of terrain. The brushless motor is not only quieter than its competitors, but it also has a longer lifespan.Another impressive feature of this mower is its three-in-one cutting system, which allows you to mulch, side discharge, or bag the grass clippings. It is powered by a 5Ah or 6Ah battery, and its dual battery design enables you to switch to a backup battery for a seamless mowing experience. However, it’s worth noting that the batteries must be purchased separately.
#2.Greenworks 12 Amp 20-Inch 3-in-1Electric Corded Lawn Mower
There’s a reason why this mower is considered the best lawn mower under $300; it’s the all-round package. Good quality to price ratio, nice set of features, good design (Greenworks rarely let you down in this sense) and on top of all of that it does what it’s supposed to. The perfect low-cost solution to small and medium-size lawn maintenance!
- Durable steel deck
- 3-in-1 functionality
- Great value
- Starts easily
- Compact to store
- Dealing with the cord
- Mulching depends on grass type
Let’s start with the top-of-the-line option, the Greenworks 25022. This mower is a favorite among users due to its impressive features and affordable price. It’s an electric corded model, ideal for smaller yards, but with an additional extension cable, it can handle medium-sized lawns with ease. One standout feature is the sturdy steel deck, which is a rarity in corded electric mowers and at this price point. Greenworks designed this model to last for several seasons, making it a worthwhile investment.
The mower’s “3-in-1” feature, which allows you to mulch, bag, or side discharge the clippings, is a convenient option to have. While it may not be the most powerful mower on the market, it still performs well. Switching between the three options is a breeze, making it hassle-free. Adjusting the blade height is also effortless, with seven available settings to choose from.
#3.Worx WG779 40V Power Share 4.0Ah 14″ Cordless Lawn Mower
- Quiet running
- Dual charger
- Works with other WORX tools
- Intellicut technology
- Small lawn mower
- Takes more walking to mow the lawn
The WORX WG779 40V is a fantastic addition to any landscaping maintenance routine. One unique feature of this mower is its Intellicut capability, providing extra torque when tackling tougher areas. WORX offers various cutting levels, which is an attractive option. Additionally, the WORX lawn mower battery is compatible with most WORX tools and equipment, decluttering your garage and saving you money.
With a dual feature of mulching and mowing, the WORX mower operates on two batteries at a time. The company includes a dual battery charger, allowing you to return to your lawn work quickly. The mower also has indicator lights that signal when the battery is low or the bag is near capacity. It is lightweight, easy to maneuver, and compact, making it simple to store. Assembly is easy, and using it is even simpler. However, being battery-operated and smaller in size, it takes more time to mow the lawn than a larger unit would.
Also read:The 9 Best Corded Lawn Mowers of 2023
#4.Sun Joe FBA MJ502M 20-Inch Manual Reel Mower
- Power source: You
- Power level: N/A
- Cutting width: 20 inches
- Weight: 30 pounds
- Lightweight and compact
- Large cutting width
- Requires more effort to use than gas or electric mowers
- Doesn’t function well on uneven terrain
If you’re on a tight budget, a manual push reel mower can be a great option, and the Sun Joe MJ502M offers excellent value for money. With a 20-inch cutting width, it’s larger than most reel mowers, so you can cover more ground and finish mowing your lawn more quickly. The mower is also equipped with dual wheels for better stability and maneuverability, as well as a grass catcher to collect clippings.
The MJ502M is versatile and suitable for any type of grass, with nine different cutting height settings ranging from 1.2 to 2.4 inches, so you can customize the cut to your lawn. Additionally, the mower’s five-blade reel ensures a healthy cut that’s better than what you’ll get with most gas or electric mowers.
However, some users have reported that the MJ502M struggles with bumpy ground or tall grass, so it may not be the best option for those with more challenging lawns. If your lawn is flat and small, the MJ502M is an excellent budget-friendly choice, but if you need a more powerful mower, you may have to invest in a pricier model.
#5.POWERWORKS 60V 21-inch Brushless HP Mower
- Foldable handles to allow vertical storage
- Decent 60V 5Ah battery with a runtime of up to 45 minutes
- Three-in-one design that allows you to either bag, side-discharge, or mulch grass clippings
- Brushless motor that is quieter and gives your mower a longer life
- Easy-to-start electric button
- Its operation is louder than most other electric mowers
Next on the list is an affordable and excellent self-propelled mower that can provide a tidy and well-maintained yard without breaking a sweat. With its 21-inch steel cutting deck, this mower can efficiently mow large lawns. Additionally, its three-in-one design enables side discharge, bagging, or mulching of grass clippings. The brushless motor ensures quiet operation and extended lifespan, while starting the mower is effortless with just a push of a button, eliminating the need to pull cords.
Measuring 59 x 22.05 x 39.37 inches and weighing 35.11 kilograms, this mower is slightly heavier than others, but its foldable handles and vertical storage capability make it easy to store, especially in small garage spaces. Furthermore, the mower’s height can be adjusted to seven positions with a single lever, allowing you to mow your yard to different heights as desired.
The POWERWORKS mower, as its name implies, is a robust machine that can handle even the tallest grass with ease, thanks to its 60V 5Ah lithium-ion battery that provides up to 45 minutes of runtime. The machine also comes with a generous four-year warranty, with an additional two-year warranty on the battery.
Also read:Best Riding Lawn Mowers for 1 Acre 2023
#6.14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
Whether this lawn mower is suitable will largely be decided by the answer to the following question. How big is your lawn? If it’s any bigger than “small” you’ll probably save yourself a lot of time and effort by buying a bigger mower. But if simple, cheap and small is what you’re after, then this mower is just the ticket!
- Super affordable
- Very light
- Simple operation
- Small storage footprint
- Cylinder blades good for grass
- Narrow cutting width
- More effort to change cutting height
The next mower on our list is a bit of a wildcard. It may not suit everyone’s needs, but it is one of the highest-rated lawn mowers available for under $300. Despite its low cost, this mower offers great value. It is easy to operate and lightweight, so you won’t have to struggle with it as you move around your lawn. Moreover, it uses a cylinder cutting mechanism composed of four alloy steel blades, which is better for the health of your grass than a rotary blade.
However, this mower is designed for small lawns since it only has a 14-inch cutting width. If you have a larger lawn, this may not be the best option. Nevertheless, its small size does have its advantages, such as a small storage footprint and the ability to navigate tight areas around your lawn with ease.
#7.Poulan Pro Walk Behind Mower
- Strong & durable
- Rear-wheel drive
- Axel mounts are plastic
- Hard to pull backward
- Uneven cuts on bumpy terrain
- Hard to push over harder terrain due to back flap
The Poulan Pro 961490006 is an excellent addition to any lawn maintenance routine. With a 22-inch cutting width and 3-in-1 capability for mulching, bagging, and side discharge, it provides versatility and convenience. The variable height cutting options and rear-wheel drive make it ideal for reducing strain on tired muscles. Additionally, the lightweight design allows for easy maneuvering and transportation, making it a great option for small to midsize yards.
The powerful engine starts on the first pull every time, but maneuverability could be improved due to the flap in the back making it difficult to pull the mower backward. Furthermore, the front axle mounts are made of plastic and not very durable, which may require replacement. Despite these minor issues, this lawn mower is robust, powerful, and well-balanced, making it capable of handling both small and large jobs with ease.
#8.Sun Joe MJ401C Cordless Push Lawn Mower
- Power source: Battery-powered electric
- Power level: 28 volts
- Cutting width: 14 inches
- Weight: 23.1 pounds
- Easy to use
- Comes with rear bagging attachment
- Small cutting width
- Battery runtime less than an hour
Sun Joe MJ401C battery-powered mower, a great option for those with smaller budgets. With a cutting width of only 14 inches, it’s perfect for small to medium lawns, and its 28-volt lithium-ion battery provides about 25 minutes of run time on a single charge.
The MJ401C’s small size and weight (approximately 23 pounds) make it incredibly easy to use and push, with users reporting that it has a quicker and easier instant start compared to many other mowers. It also comes with three cutting height adjustments and a 10.6-gallon rear bag for collecting grass clippings, making it an excellent value for its price point of around $150, especially for a cordless mower.
Also read:Best Lawn Mower Selection Guide for 2023
If you’re in the process of replacing your current lawn mower, you probably already have some idea of what you’re looking for and which options are best suited to your yard. But if you’re a first-time buyer, it can be difficult to know which way to turn, with so many different styles and brand of lawn mower available. We all dread walking into a store clueless and coming out with a product that is well over budget and overkill for your requirements. This section will hopefully prevent that from happening and help you stick to your 300 dollar budget.
Best Lawn Mower Under $300 Buying Guide
When shopping for a lawn mower, there are several key factors to consider, particularly if you are working within a budget of under $300. Here are some points to consider when looking for a lawn mower in this price range:
- Type of lawn mower: There are several types of lawn mowers to choose from, including gas-powered, electric, and manual push mowers. Each type has its own pros and cons, so it’s important to consider which one will best suit your needs.
- Cutting width: The cutting width of a lawn mower refers to the width of the blade or blades. A wider cutting width will allow you to cover more ground in less time, but it may also be more difficult to maneuver around tight spaces or obstacles.
- Cutting height: Most lawn mowers have adjustable cutting heights, which allow you to customize the length of the grass on your lawn. If you have a larger lawn or uneven terrain, you may want to look for a mower with a wider range of cutting heights.
- Grass clippings: Some lawn mowers have the ability to mulch grass clippings, which means they chop the clippings into small pieces and leave them on the lawn to decompose. This can be a convenient feature if you don’t want to spend time bagging clippings, but it may not be as effective if you have a lot of weeds in your lawn.
- Durability: It’s important to consider the durability of a lawn mower, especially if you plan to use it frequently. Look for a model that is made with high-quality materials and has a solid warranty.
- Brand reputation: Research the reputation of different brands before making a purchase. Look for reviews from previous customers and consider the overall customer service experience of the company.
By considering these factors, you should be able to find a lawn mower that meets your needs and fits within your budget.
Pros and Cons of Lawn Mowers Under $300
Lawn mowers under $300 can be a good choice for people who are looking for a budget-friendly option for maintaining their lawn. Here are some pros and cons to consider:
- Affordable: Lawn mowers under $300 are typically more affordable than higher-priced models, which can make them a good option for people who are working with a limited budget.
- Suitable for small lawns: If you have a small lawn, a lawn mower under $300 may be sufficient for your needs. These mowers are often designed for use on smaller lawns and may not be as powerful as higher-priced models.
- Easy to use: Many lawn mowers under $300 are designed to be easy to use, with simple controls and minimal maintenance requirements.
- Limited features: Lawn mowers under $300 may not have as many features as more expensive models, such as multiple cutting height settings or self-propelling capabilities.
- Less durable: Because they are typically made with cheaper materials and have less powerful engines, lawn mowers under $300 may not be as durable as higher-priced models.
- May not be suitable for larger lawns: If you have a larger lawn, a lawn mower under $300 may not be able to handle the job effectively. These mowers are typically better suited for small lawns.
Whether a lawn mower under $300 is a good choice for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you have a small lawn and are looking for a budget-friendly option, a lawn mower under $300 may be a good choice. However, if you have a larger lawn or need a mower with more features, you may want to consider a higher-priced model.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the differences between gas, corded electric, and cordless electric mowers?
Gas-powered mowers are typically more powerful than electric mowers and can handle thicker grass and uneven terrain. However, they require regular maintenance and can be louder and more polluting than electric mowers. Corded electric mowers are quieter and more environmentally friendly than gas mowers, but they are limited by the length of their power cord. Cordless electric mowers are similar to corded electric mowers, but they run on a rechargeable battery, which allows for greater mobility but also requires frequent recharging.Electric vs Gas Lawn Mower – Which One IS Suitable For you?
What features should I consider when looking for a lawn mower under $300?
Some features to consider when looking for a lawn mower under $300 include the size of the cutting deck (the width of the mower’s blade), the type of power source (gas, corded electric, or cordless electric), the height adjustment of the cutting deck, and the grass clipping disposal options (such as side discharge, rear bag, or mulching). Other features to consider include the mower’s weight and maneuverability, as well as any additional features it may have, such as a washout port for cleaning the deck or a self-propelling mechanism.
How do I maintain a lawn mower?
To keep your lawn mower running smoothly, it’s important to follow a regular maintenance schedule. This may include checking and changing the oil and spark plug, cleaning the air filter, sharpening or replacing the blades, and cleaning the grass clipping bag or discharging chute. It’s also a good idea to store your mower in a dry, protected area when it’s not in use. Consult the manufacturer’s manual for specific maintenance instructions for your particular model.How to maintain your lawn mower
How long do cheap mowers last?
Based on that usage, a lower-quality line of residential mowers is expected to last 450-500 hours, while a John Deere residential lawn mower will last around 1,000-1,500 hours. Those estimates are made assuming that proper care and regular maintenance are taking place.How Long Should Your Lawn Mower Last?
What horsepower lawn mower do I need?
Look for a mower with at least 14-16 hp and a wide mowing deck – at least 38 inches – to get your lawn work done quickly. Yards larger than three acres are best handled by a larger zero-turn rider or a garden tractor. Look for models that have at least 18hp engines and mowing decks in the 44-54 inch range.How Much Horsepower Does a Lawn Mower Need
How much should I spend on a mower?
If your lawn is small, you could opt for a low-cost reel mower for about $115 on average. However, if you need a riding mower for a large property, it would cost an average of $3,070. The walk-behind mower, which is the most common style for homeowners, costs an average of $475.
How much electricity does a lawn mower use per hour?
If you have a corded electric mower, then it will typically use between 700 and 1800 watts of electricity per hour. Cordless electric mowers, on the other hand, tend to be a bit weaker. Battery sizes are often between 40 and 90 volts, requiring 600 to 1400 watts of electricity to charge, depending on battery amps.Lawn Mower Electricity Running Costs Explained